- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2/3 cups coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 7 ounces caramel candies (unwrapped)
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick spray, then line the baking dish with parchment paper.
- Microwave the butter and chocolate in a large bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla, whisking until well combined.
- Add the flour and pinch of sea salt, stirring just until incorporated.
- Spread half the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish. Place into oven oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for an additional 20 minutes.
- To make the caramel filling, combine the caramel candies and cream in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until completely melted and smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Immediately spread the hot caramel mixture evenly over the bottom brownie layer. Spread the remaining brownie batter in an even layer over the caramel. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Place into oven oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until set.
- Allow to cool completely in baking dish, set on a wire rack, then refrigerate 2 hours before cutting into bars.
These brownies have bits of gooey caramel within the rich brownie. Don’t try to cut or eat these when they are hot, you could be badly burned by the hot caramel.
Gooey Caramel Filled Brownies is an easy delicious dessert recipe that will have your family begging you to make them again and again.