Grilled Cabbage With Lime Dressing is warmed through, charred to a level of near sweetness and maintains texture. Topped with a fresh dressing makes it nearly addicting. This side dish is quite easy to do in 20 minutes and can be done indoors on a grill pan. But if you’re out grilling already, just throw that cabbage on the grill while you’re at it.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp fresh juice from 4 to 6 limes (divided)
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 3 medium cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems
- 1 medium head green cabbage (cut into 6 wedges, with core left intact)
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine 2 tablespoons lime juice and all of fish sauce, sugar and garlic in a small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high heat until steaming-hot, about 20 seconds.
- Add cayenne pepper. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool in refrigerator, then stir in remaining lime juice and herbs. Set aside.
- Alternatively, set half the burners on a gas grill to the highest heat setting, cover and preheat for 10 minutes. Clean and oil grilling grate.
- Place cabbage wedges directly over hot side of grill. Cook, covered, until well charred on first side, about 2 minutes. Flip cabbage, cover and cook until charred on second side, another 2 minutes.
- Flip wedges to third side, cover and cook until well charred, another 2 minutes. Transfer cabbage to cooler side of grill, cover and continue cooking until mostly tender but still crunchy in center, about 4 minutes longer.
- As a result put cabbage to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter. Spoon dressing over the grilled and serve immediately.
Cabbage is great, both raw or cooked, not only for the flavor but also because it’s such an inexpensive, nutritious and diet-friendly ingredient.