- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1½ cups mozzarella
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green olives (if desired)
- 1 tsp each (chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup salsa of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 F. In a pan over a medium heat, cook the onions in 1-2 tbsp olive oil until slightly softened. Next add in the tender ground beef.
- Season the meat mix with chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika. Now cook the mixture until completely browned. Drop in any salsa of choice and set aside.
- You can add olives also if you so wish. While the beef meat is cooking, add some mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl and microwave the mix for just one minute.
- Remove and stir well, then return the mix to the microwave for another minute. Now stir everything well.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of beef meat mixture into each circle on one half and then neatly fold the other half right over. Press down firmly on the edges in order to seal the meat.
- You can also slightly roll the edges to make sure they're together well or use a fork to gently push down the edges to keep everything tidy before cooking.
- Once you've made all empanadas, cook them at 425 F for 12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown in the oven then remove and set aside. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Make sure the filling is completely chilled before filling up the empanadas. Otherwise you will, quite literally see the pastry melt before your very eyes.
These Ground Beef Empanadas also freeze and re-heat really well.
Serving Size:1 empanada
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 89mgCarbohydrates: 4gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 3gProtein: 26g