How To Make Someone Feel Special: (15 Everyday Tips)
In today’s article you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to make someone feel special.
Maybe you want to bring up a friend who’s going through a difficult time otherwise you’re trying to get someone’s attention romantically. Regardless of the situation, boosting someone’s mood is a straightforward and efficient approach to improving your relationship, so long as you handle it with sensitivity.
While there are various ways to make someone feel incredible, they may differ depending on your relationship with that person. Nonetheless, there are some general concepts and principles that will make anyone feel valued.
How to Make Someone Feel Special:
1. Start with a smile when you meet your partner and keep smiling genuinely throughout the time you spend together.
Smiling not only improves your own mood, but also makes you appear happier and more optimistic to others. This conveys to your partner that you enjoy being around them and that you pay attention to what they’ve to say.
2. Watch and listen to what happens to someone special in his life, such as his hobbies and work/school activities.
Make note of the people they mention repeatedly because they’re most certainly important to them. Give them your full attention and avoid checking your phone or computer. It makes them feel heard and appreciated when you give them your undivided attention.
Common individuals they might name include siblings, parents, grandparents, close friends, pets, kids, classmates, and colleagues. Try to find out about these people and their relationship with your special friend. Sometimes, it is better to listen and refrain from offering a solution.
For example, if your friend tells you that she or he is irritated with their basketball coach, you might say something like, “That sounds frustrating. I’m sorry you had to go through that. Avoid saying things like, “I know how that feels” because you may not fully understand what they’re going through, and that can make them feel worse. Instead, practice empathy by showing kindness and paying attention to the needs they express.
3. Ask about the person’s life and remember what you have learned about them in the past.
Ask about specific people or events they’ve mentioned before, which shows your interest in their hobbies and interests. Pay attention to the details of their story and remember to ask them about them during your next conversation.
For example, if you remember that your friend is close to her brother and the last time they took a family trip to the beach over spring break, ask her how her brother is doing and if he’s seen her recently. You can also ask him if he’s been to the beach again or if he’s planning to visit his brother soon.
4. Remember the memory and share it with your friends.
Not only does this evoke pleasant and pleasant thoughts for both of you, but it also signals that you are thinking of them and that you value the moments spent together. The memory could be from your childhood or the night before.
Maybe you spent the whole night chatting, or maybe you did something adventurous like skydiving. Reflecting on your experiences together is a great way to show the importance of your time together.
5. Make physical contact with the person from time to time.
It doesn’t have to be overly intimate, but research has shown that touch can increase happiness and enhance feelings of connectedness. (1) Give him a hug as you greet him and say goodbye, or give him a friendly pat on the shoulder when you walk by.
However, be careful not to overdo it, as the level and frequency of physical contact will vary depending on your relationship with the individual. The boundaries should be very different if your special someone is a significant other versus a friend or family member.
6. Get to know the person by actively listening to them.
Make a note of any important people, sentimental places, or hobbies they mention. You can observe and catch some of these just by paying attention. For example, find out who their best friends are, and what they like to do when they hang out.
Also pay attention to the family members they are closest to, and whether they prefer Pepsi or Coke, and whether they have any favorite foods. You should also pay attention to any sports or hobbies they mention, and how involved they are in them. This information can help you show your special someone that you care about them and that you value their interest.
7. Try to keep the gift a secret and surprise the person with it.
The element of surprise can make a gift even more special and memorable for the recipient. For example, if you’re planning a fancy dinner, you could tell them you’re taking them to a work-related event to keep the surprise alive until you get to the restaurant.
8. Offer a sentimental gift based on what you know about the person.
The gift doesn’t have to be expensive, but it should show that you’re thinking about it. For example, if your friend is stressed out, you could give him a small gift like his favorite candy to show that you care. Here are some gift ideas to make your friend feel special:
- Favorite food or drink item
- Merchandise from their favorite sports team, such as team jerseys or game tickets
- A collectible item that he can add to his collection
- You might also consider making something for him, like cooking his favorite food or drawing a picture of him, to showcase your talent and show your affection.
9. Giving a compliment can be a powerful way to make your friend feel valued and appreciated.
Here are some tips for giving a good compliment:
- Be sincere. Think about what your friend is proud of or what you really admire about them and express that in your compliments. Sincere compliments are more meaningful and effective.
- Pay attention to details. If your friend is trying something new, like a new outfit or hairstyle, this is a great opportunity to leave a positive comment.
- Highlight personality traits. If your friend is kind, thoughtful, or helpful, let him know you value those qualities. Make sure to smile and maintain eye contact while giving compliments to show your sincerity.
10. Take your special someone to a place that is important to him or that he would enjoy.
It could be a place from his childhood, a concert by his favorite artist or band, or a restaurant that serves his favorite cuisine. It not only provides an opportunity to spend quality time together (2) but also shows that you are interested in him and care about his interests. Another great place to consider is a vacation spot or a sporting event he’s interested in.
11. Maintain contact with the person by checking in on them regularly.
If you’re having a hard time keeping up with your schedule, schedule a time to talk. Text or email them to keep in touch. Send them things that remind you of them or articles you think they will find interesting.
Ask about the important people in their life to show that you value their life. During your conversation, follow up on previous topics she mentioned to show that you remember what she said and that you care about her.
12. Pay attention to the person’s social media accounts.
It can give you ideas about what to talk about and show him that you are interested in his life. Be careful not to overdo it in your interactions, as this could make him feel uncomfortable or you may become too clingy.
For example, if he posts a photo of his skiing, you can ask him about it the next time you talk and show interest in his experience. Is he having fun? Who did he go with? This will let him know that you care about him and care about his life.
13. Help the person connect with a friend.
If you know someone who lives in the same area as them and they’re looking to make friends, consider introducing them to each other. By doing so, you’re not only showing that you care about them, but also showing you care about their happiness outside of your relationship. When introducing yourself, share fun facts about each of them to give them something to talk about and put them at ease.
For example, you could say, “Olivia, this is my friend Emily. We used to play football together, and he was the best striker in our team. Emily, Olivia and I majored in chemistry in college and had a great time in class together.” This will give them some background information and a straightforward way to start a conversation.
14. Make plans for your next get-together, either in the near future or in a few months.
This will show that seeing him is a precedence for you. Planning ahead will also help you prepare your finances or schedule time off if needed. Ask him about his interests and suggest activities or places you know he likes.
Consider including mutual or close friends in the plan if possible. This is an awesome way to show him that you care about the important people in his life and want to spend some quality time with them too.
15. Follow up on the plans you made with your special someone.
If you cancel or back off, it can make him feel like you do not appreciate him and can undo the effort you have put in to make him feel special. To avoid this, ensure to stick to your plan. Add events to your calendar and set reminders if necessary.
You can even use visual cues like sticky notes to remind yourself of the plan. Whichever method you choose, be sure you do not make conflicting plans for the same day and time.
In short, here are some ways to make someone feel special:
- Give compliments that are genuine, specific, and focused on their personality and accomplishments.
- Take them to special places or events that are significant to them or that you know they will enjoy.
- Stay in touch through regular communication, be it by phone, text, e-mail or social media. Remember to follow up on previous conversations.
- Connect them with other friends who share the same interests or live in the same area.
- Plan your next hangout well in advance, and ensure to follow through on your plans.
- Show that you care about their happiness and well-being, even outside of your relationship with them.
By following these tips, you can make someone feel special and valuable in your life.
I want to thank you for taking the time to read my article on how to make someone feel special. I actually hope that its content has been of good help to you. +