For the Meat
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.5 pounds beef stewing meat (cubed)
For the Gravy
- 2 large yellow onions (cut into wedges)
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- sea salt and pepper (to taste)
For the Vegetables
- 4 large carrots (peeled cut into chunks)
- 1/2 pound waxy potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 4 large celery sticks (thickly sliced)
- 8 ounces brown button mushrooms (cleaned and quartered)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (no need to defrost)
- Brown the meat. Set the instant pot to saute. Heat the oil in it. Add the beef cubes and stir. Sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir well.
- Cook until the beef is browned on all sides. If the instant pot gets too hot, adjust the heat to medium. Start the gravy. Add the onions and cook until starting to brown.
- Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the herbs are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the red wine into the pan, scratching the browned bits off the bottom. (Make sure you catch everything, or your instant pot will give you the burn warning.
- Cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms to the instant pot. Stir very well.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and set the steam valve to Sealing. Press the meat/stew button and cook for 35 minutes. Once cooking time is up, allow a natural pressure release. Once the pressure has released, open the instant pot.
- Stir well and check for seasoning and consistency. Set the Instant Pot to Saute and add the peas. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- If the gravy is too thin for your liking, add a slurry of 1-2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Add it in gradually to your Beef Stew, stirring as you combine. Stir well and simmer until thickened.
Economical and easily prepared in bulk, this Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe makes delicious leftovers and is loved by all ages. This beef stew is even better when re-heated the next day.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 31g