- 2 lbs chicken breast (cut into 1-2 inch pieces)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup orange juice (no sugar added)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry white wine
- ¼ cup lite soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- extra orange zest
- It is important for the chicken not to have any extra moisture, dry it with a few paper towels and after that cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat up your pressure cooker. Press Saute, click on the Adjust button, select More to get the Saute More function, which means that the food will be sauteed over medium-high heat.
- Wait for the Instant Pot indicator to read HOT. Add the oil to the hot Instant Pot, add the chicken and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Cook until it just starts to get golden. When sauteing it, stir constantly so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Also, after you saute the chicken, check if bits stuck to the bottom, in that case, deglaze the pot with 1/4 cup orange juice and scrape them with a wooden spoon.
- Stuck bits may burn or cause the pot not to come to pressure. Add the Sauce ingredients to the pot: remaining 3/4 cups of orange juice, minced garlic, ginger, soy sauce, white sugar, brown sugar, rice wine, orange zest and Sriracha sauce.
- You can skip the Sriracha sauce or add more if you prefer your food on the spicier side.
- Add the tomato sauce if you are using it. You can use less, or completely leave it out if you want a pure orange aroma. Stir gently until all the ingredients are combined and coated in sauce.
- Close lid, select Manual and select 5 minutes on High Pressure. Make sure the vent is closed and use a 10 minute Natural Release. Turn off the heat. Release the remaining pressure by opening the vent. Open the lid.
- Select again the Saute function, on LOW. In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with the orange juice, whisk until all combined with no lumps.
- Add the mixture to the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine. Cook on Saute function for a few more minutes, stirring gently, until the sauce thickens. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- If you want the sauce even thicker, mix one more tablespoon of cornstarch with orange juice and add it to the pot. Let the Orange Chicken stand for 5-7 minutes, the sauce will thicken more.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh chopped green onions and extra orange zest.
It is an easy, delicious meal that your whole family will love. If you want a truly golden-brown chicken, brown it on the stove top, as the Instant Pot isn't really good for that.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 827mgCarbohydrates: 27gSugar: 22gProtein: 33g