- 1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 oz cream cheese (cubed)
- 3 large egg (beaten, one egg is reserved for egg wash)
- First of all, preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated.
- If you don't want to use the microwave, heat the cheeses in a double boiler on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and easy to stir.
- Stir the flour mixture and 2 eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Work quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms.
- The dough will be very sticky, so keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, is too difficult to mix, or is still sticky after a couple minutes, you can microwave/reheat for 15-20 seconds to soften it.
- In that case, wash your hands and knead again. Make sure you mix the cheese and almond flour mixture very well. You don't want to see any clumps of almond flour in the mixture.
- Your dough should be room temperature when you shape it, and put it in the oven. First of all, this makes it easier to handle and the bagels will retain their shape.
- If it is too warm it can result in your bagels flattening out in the oven. Divide the fathead dough into six equal parts. Using your hand form long strings and shape them as a round bagel, pressing the ends. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place all the formed bagels on a baking sheet. Add the final egg to a bowl and whisk. Generously brush surface of bagels with egg wash.
- If you wish to add bagel toppings, add them at this time. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden. Finally, remove from the oven and let them cool.
The best topping for these keto bagels is cream cheese, dill, smoked salmon and cracked pepper. They’ve got the most wonderful chewy crust, and a light airy inside. Perfect for when you’re craving a bread taste. Homemade bagels are so good, you’ll forget they’re even low carb.
Serving Size:1 bagel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 28gCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gProtein: 21g