- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk or almond or coconut (divided)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Swerve sweetener
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tbsp vodka, gin or any other low carb booze with high alcohol percentage (helps reduce iciness, optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 liquid stevia extract (or other sweetener to taste)
- Set a bowl over an ice bath and set aside. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, 1 cup of the cashew milk, cocoa powder and sweetener.
- Whisk together until well combined and stir until mixture reaches 170 F on an instant read thermometer. Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking continuously to temper the yolks.
- Slowly add tempered yolks back into the saucepan, whisking continuously. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 175 F on an instant read thermometer and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit 5 minutes and then whisk until smooth. Pour mixture into bowl set over ice bath and let cool 10 minutes. Then wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Whisk in additional 1/2 cup cashew milk, vodka, if using, vanilla extract and stevia extract. Mixture will be very thick until these ingredients are whisked in.
- Pour mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions. Once churned, you can serve immediately.
Booze that’s high in alcohol content has a very low freezing point and adding even very small amounts will lower the freezing point for your ice cream as well. Highly recommend adding it.
Allow your ice cream to thaw at room temperature, for 10-15 minutes before scooping. Lightly wet your ice cream scoop, to ensure perfect, even scoops.
Serving Size:1 serving (1/2 cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 27.2gCarbohydrates: 7.1gNet Carbohydrates: 4.1gFiber: 3gProtein: 4.4g