- 10 fresh asparagus spears
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Trim the asparagus spears by cutting off the tough woody ends so you’re left with about 6 inches. Rinse and dry them. In a bowl, beat together the egg and heavy cream until well-mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow plate, large enough for the asparagus spears. In another shallow plate, stir together all breading ingredients until well-mixed.
- Using a deep fryer or a pan on the stove top, add enough vegetable oil so that the asparagus can be fried on all sides. Heat the oil to 350 F. If not using a fryer, frequently monitor to maintain the temperature during frying.
- Generously coat each asparagus spear in the egg wash with your first hand, then in the breading with your second hand until well-coated on all sides. Gently shake off excess and transfer to wax or parchment paper.
- Repeat with the other asparagus spears. Fry the breaded asparagus until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes and drain on paper towels. Rotate the asparagus halfway through frying for the best texture.
- After frying, handle the asparagus carefully so you don’t break off the breading. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
They’re so nutritious and healthy, and they won’t add on those extra carb weights. A healthy alternative to french fries baked to crisp perfection right in the oven. The asparagus stay tender and not soggy, yet have a delicious crispy coating on the outside.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420 Total Fat: 40g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 122mg Carbohydrates: 7g Net Carbohydrates: 3.5g Fiber: 3.5g Protein: 9g