- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or melted butter)
- 2 tbsp Yacon syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 lb powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1 ½ tbsp egg white powder
- 1 ½ tsp arrowroot starch or 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water more if needed to thin out
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 275 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, coconut flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and cloves.
- Stir in eggs, coconut oil, Yacon syrup and vanilla extract until dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half and turn out first half onto a large piece of parchment paper. Top with another piece of parchment and roll out out about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes and gently loosen and lift with an offset spatula. Place on prepared baking sheets. Gather up scraps and roll until too little is left to roll out. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 5 minutes on pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the royal icing, in a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sweetener, meringue powder and arrowroot starch or xanthan gum.
- Add water and stir until smooth. Add more water 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pipe royal icing on cooled cookies and let set 30 minutes or longer. Store in an air tight container for up to 7 days, if they last that long.
These gingerbread cookies are just as enjoyable a few days after they are baked but best right out of the oven. Xanthan gum is an important ingredient, because it makes the dough willing to roll out without falling apart. When the dough tastes good when raw, it should taste good when baked.
Serving Size:2 Cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 11.7gCarbohydrates: 6.2gNet Carbohydrates: 3.6gFiber: 2.6gProtein: 4.6g