- 1 pound beef mince
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 brown onion (grated)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 oz butter
- 1.5 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 oz butter
- 2 tbsp worcestshire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper more to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- Mix all meatball ingredients excluding butter. Combine with your hands, working the spices and onion through the meat and massaging it well to help melt the fat through the meat.
- Roll the minced beef into meatballs, making around 20 large or 25 smaller balls. To make sure they are even, you can use an ice cream scoop.
- Melt the 1 oz of butter in a large frying pan, over medium heat until just starting to foam, then add the meatballs. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes, turning gently and basting with the melting butter on all sides. Set the meatballs aside, when they get browned.
- Add to the frying pan (without cleaning), the remaining 2 oz of butter and melt down, scraping up any meaty scraps on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the beef stock, cream, sour cream, worcestshire sauce, mustard and salt and pepper. Stir to combine and taste for additional seasoning.
- At one point it has reached a low simmer, scoop out 3 tablespoons of the gravy into a small bowl and whisk in the xantham gum. Combining with warm and fatty liquids helps it dissolve evenly.
- Return this xantham gum mixture back to the pan, then add the meatballs back in and baste with the gravy.
- Slowly simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until the sauce reduces to your desired consistency. Serve immediately with cauliflower mash.
Swedish meatballs should have a bit more spice than regular Italian meatballs. It's the spices that make these meatballs so different. Nutmeg and allspice are used to give the meatballs a sweet, spicy taste that sets them apart from your classic Italian meatball.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 630Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 184mgCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 25g