Quick And Easy Poached Eggs! Never poached eggs before? Poaching is a cooking technique where you cook something in liquid. Poached eggs are eggs that have been cooked in water. They are delicious and healthy and if you know these few simple tricks for how to poach an egg, they’re so easy to make.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
- 2-4 large fresh eggs
- sea salt, pepper
- In a skillet or saucepan, bring 3 inches of water to a boil. Using a pin, such as thumb tack, make a hole in the eggshell. This allows any air in the egg to be released, which may otherwise cause it to crack.
- Place the whole egg (still in the shell) in the boiling water for 10 seconds exactly, and then remove the egg from the water. This is key, because boiling the egg helps it to retain it's shape once it’s cracked open. After the egg cools enough to handle, you can poach the egg.
- Bring the water to a simmer, and very gently slide each egg individually into the simmering water. Cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes, depending if you want a runny, medium, or firm egg.
- Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and place onto a paper towel to drain.
- Once your eggs are perfectly poached, you can put them on just about everything, roasted asparagus, a juicy hamburger, you name it. Serve hot.
Poached eggs are great because they’re just pure egg, no oil or unhealthy fats added in the cooking process.