- 12 ounces frozen raspberries (thawed, for puree)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 ounces raspberry puree
- juice of one lemon
- 4 egg whites (at room temperature)
- pinch of cream of tartar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 ounce granulated sugar
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- fresh raspberries (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease four (roughly 4.5 inches wide) souffle ramekins with butter and then coat the ramekins with a thin layer of granulated sugar, shaking to remove any excess sugar. Place the ramekins on a small baking sheet and set aside.
- Puree the thawed frozen raspberries in a blender until very smooth. Strain through a fine meshed sieve. Discard the seeds and reserve four ounces of raspberry puree to the souffles.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, first amount of sugar and cornstarch until thick and pale yellow in color. Whisk in the raspberry puree and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt and whisk over low speed until foamy. Increase the speed to medium-high and slowly add the granulated sugar.
- Continue to beat the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Add a small amount of beaten egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and whisk in gently. Fold in the remaining egg whites (some white streaks may remain).
- Pour the mixture carefully into the center of the ramekins, and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake at 400 F for 16-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove, dust with confectioners sugar and garnish with raspberries. Serve immediately.
The only trick with a souffle is to serve it up immediately. As it’ll start to deflate a minute or so after being removed from the oven. But no biggie. That’s just how souffles are. Do not open the oven door during cooking as this will deflate the soufﬂe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 73gNet Carbohydrates: 66gFiber: 7gSugar: 60gProtein: 5g