The tequila sunrise cocktail has been an official cocktail since the 1930’s and gained a lot of popularity in the 1970’s. But there’s something about sunrise or sunset drinks with the color gradient that’s so eye-catching and they always make it thirsty. The cocktail is named for its appearance when served, with gradations of color resembling a sunrise.
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
- 4 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces tequila (silver tequila)
- 1/2 to 1 ounce grenadine, or to taste
- ice cubes
- maraschino cherries (for garnishing)
- orange slices (for garnishing)
- umbrellas (optional)
- Fill a large glass halfway with ice. Add the tequila and then the orange juice. Finally, use a spoon to carefully guide the grenadine down the side wall of the glass to create the layered effect.
- Do not stir. Garnish with orange slices and cherries and serve immediately.
- Don’t forget the umbrellas because everything tastes better topped with an umbrella.