- 1/2 cup maple syrup (add 1 tbsp sugar for sweeter)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice ( 1 tbsp more if using whole grain flours)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric for color (optional)
- zest of 1/2 to 1 lemon
- 6 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar and 2 drops of vanilla (if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Lightly add the 1 1/4 cup flour and the rest of the dry ingredients and whisk well to make a smooth batter.
- Rest of the flour, add at a time to make a smooth flow batter, but not overly watery or overly stiff. Pour the batter into a lined or greased pan. Even it out using a spatula.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes if using a square baking dish or brownie pan. For baking a Loaf, 40 to 50 minutes. Test with a toothpick from the center. It should come out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let it cool completely before frosting.
- Whisk the ingredients under frosting until smooth. Put 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar for sweeter frosting. Adjust the tang with lemon zest if needed.
- Stir in a drop or so vanilla extract or almond extract for flavor (optional). Spread the frosting on the cake evenly. Allow glaze to set, about five minutes or so, before cutting. Slice and serve.
- Store refrigerated for up to 4 days. The lemon flavor gets stronger on storing. Feel free to substitute any citrus in place of the lemon. Clementine, tangerine, orange and grapefruit zest all work very well.
The almond milk in this cake was actually a pretty awesome ingredient because the sugar in the cake helps temper the flavor of the milk and the almond in it actually perfumes the cake pretty amazingly. You don’t have to refrigerate the cake, but it tastes much better that way.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g